Home Page . Services / Contact Information . Parenting Articles . Separation/Divorce Articles . Video Clips . Links




A strength-guided, goal-oriented approach to the positive growth and 

development of people and services.


Back to Advice Articles


Have Your Son Assessed 




Our son is in grade two and he is struggling at school. At home he is just a happy boy. He gets along with his younger brother and I am told he plays well with the other kids at school. He certainly doesn't like doing any of his homework and even his teachers have difficulty motivating him to do work there, although he isn't disruptive about it. What could be going on?


It sounds like you are describing a well mannered boy who may have an undetected learning disability or even slight vision or hearing difficulty.

In the presence of any of these kinds of challenges, learning becomes obstructed, painful and even tortuous form the perspective of the child. If any of these issues are at play for your child, he won't be aware of them. To him, the problems are his normal, he just experiences learning as difficult as a result and then naturally seeks to avoid those circumstances.

Have your son's vision and hearing checked. If normal, then have him checked for learning disabilities. Typically assessments for learning disabilities can be provided through the school, but please note, there may be quite a line up of children ahead of your son. Hence and if you can afford it, you may wish to seek a private psycho-educational assessment. Typically these are provided by psychologists at the Ph.D. level or at least under the supervision of a psychologist.

Although by your description, if your son does have a learning disability, it is likely not severe. However, even a mild learning disability can interfere and throw a child off track, so it is important to look into.


Email this article to a friend or colleague.
Enter recipient's e-mail:


Gary Direnfeld, MSW, RSW
(905) 628-4847  


Gary Direnfeld is a social worker in private practice. Courts in Ontario, Canada, consider Gary an expert on child development, parent-child relations, marital and family therapy, custody and access recommendations, social work and an expert for the purpose of giving a critique on a Section 112 (social work) report.


Call Gary for your next conference and for expert opinion on family matters. Services include counselling, mediation, assessment, assessment critiques and workshops.


Buy the book:

For information on Direnfeld's book, Raising Kids Without Raising Cane, click here.


Are you the parent of new teen driver?  Check out this teen safe driving program: www.ipromiseprogram.com


20 Suter Crescent, Dundas, ON, Canada L9H 6R5 Tel: (905) 628-4847 Email: gary@yoursocialworker.com